Friday, September 26, 2008

Stops I Have Made So Far and Some Pilot Thoughts

This gives you a general idea of the areas I have flown over. Every red dot is a place I have landed. But in reality it is not my exact path.

In the mountains I could not fly straight from point a to point b. I usually was following a road or a river. When I get home and have more time I will plot my exact course.

Some thoughts about my trip.

I think one of the most enjoyable things about this adventure is the fact that I have not had a definite planned route. I try to find a local pilot and tell him my general direction and ask for a place of interest in that direction....it has worked out real well using this approach.....no one knows an area better than local pilots....

I have taken 100's of pictures....but I am covering of much real estate that when I start looking at the pictures, I don't know the exact spot I took them....To fix this problem I started writing in my log book the area I took the picture in, this has really helped.

I had planned to camp some, but at the end of the day the lure of a good bed and hot shower has been overwhelming....a sure sign of OLD age. Believe it or not, serious airport bumming is exhausting.

The AOPA feature on the 496 is helpful but not always accurate, I have stopped at several places where courtesy cars were [according to the data base ] but there were none.

As for eating, I try to get a good breakfast, lunch in the plane is usually a banana, then I look for a good dinner......[GORDY at Rolla,ND had spicy cheese crackers at his FBO...I should have never bought a box...bet you can't eat just one]

Tannis, my wife, send me a e-mail suggesting I should start toward home...What were those famous words I remember from school....."WE HAVE JUST BEGUN TO FIGHT'. "I HAVE JUST BEGUN TO FLY". If that makes any sense.....BTY, Tannis please sell some real estate....I might be needing some funds soon......your loving husband.

1 comment:

Rob said...

You are having a fantastic trip, and many of us are watching you on the AOPA/POA forums. THank you for posting as you go, and sharing your experiences. Keep rested, Keep flying, and Fly Safe.

Schaffer Family